Dental Implants Explained
A dental implant can best be likened to an artificial tooth root inserted into the jaw. This root serves as an anchor for one replacement tooth or several. In the case of several prosthetic teeth, it’s a superior alternative to dentures.
Dental implants are made of titanium which is able to fuse with bone (a process called osseointegration). They come in several varieties, but can be broadly categorized into two different types:
In The Bone Implants (Endosteal): This is the most common implant consisting of cylinders, blades and/or screws placed into the jawbone. Bone grafting or bone augmentation surgery may be necessary before implants are inserted.
On The Bone Implants (Subperiosteal): These implants are situated on top of the jaw. Part of the implant protrudes through the gum and holds the prosthesis. These implants are used for patients with low bone height which makes them unsuitable for traditional dentures.
After the insertion of the implant, there is a waiting period of four to eight weeks before the replacement teeth can be fabricated and fixed to the implant. Where teeth have been recently extracted, the waiting period will be longer – several months.
Anyone who has lost teeth because of injury, periodontal disease, or other causes. People who are tired of living with uncomfortable dentures and would like something better
Advantages of Implants
- Provide a permanent solution to missing teeth. No need to remove them at bedtime or in order to keep them clean.
- Long lasting – at least twenty years before maybe needing to be replaced. Contrast this with dentures which often need to be replaced every few years because of ongoing gum shrinkage.
- More comfortable than dentures.
- Impossible to slip or click like dentures. Chew and taste just as with natural teeth and eat all kinds of food without worry.
- Enable the recipient to speak clearly and naturally.
- Less risk to health. Dentures, if not kept scrupulously clean, may increase the danger of remaining natural teeth and gums succumbing to infection.
Affordable Dental Implants Dallas can provide implants that look and function just like natural teeth. They do away with the insecurity of dentures and the impression that the patient has aged when the dentures are removed at bedtime. They will improve the recipient’s smile, self-esteem and confidence. Make an appointment with Dr. Marneni today for an oral health assessment and a discussion of implant procedures.